Jan 2022 - now
Selected for the front cover of Small!
Featured by the University of Oxford as Discovery of new nanowire assembly process could enable more powerful computer chips.
- James' photonic architecture that performs Pavlovian learning on a chip is published in Optica (Jul 2022).
Featured by the University of Oxford as Seeing the light: researchers develop new AI system using light to learn associatively.
Featured by Optica in Optics & Photonics News as Pavlov’s Dog Meets Machine Learning.
- Jason's paper polarization-selective PCM is published in Science Advances (Jun 2022).
Featured by the University of Oxford as Researchers develop the world's first ultra-fast photonic computing processor using polarisation.
Featured by Optica in Optics & Photonics News as An “Optomemristor” for Neural-Net Computing.
- Samarth's work on photonic integration of Sb memory cells is published in Nano Letters (Apr 2022).
Most read paper in the past 30 days (assessed on 04 May 2022)!
- Nick and Nathan's paper on electrically reconfigurable plasmonic switches appears in Advanced Science (Apr 2022).
Selected for the inside front cover of Advanced Science!
Featured by the University of Oxford as Researchers develop the world's first power-free frequency tuner using nanomaterials.
Selected for the Editors' Highlights collection in Nature Communications.
Jan 2020 - Dec 2021
Featured by the University of Oxford as New adaptable smart window coating could help heat or cool a home and save energy.
Featured by The Times as Turn on the windows to keep warm.
We welcome Bowei Dong as a postdoctoral researcher (Dec 2021).
Our fantastic four DPhil students from the 2017 cohort, Xuan, Nick, Eugene, and James, all pass their Viva. Congratulations (Oct-Dec 2021)!
Nick's nanocalligraphy paper appears on Microsystems & Nanoengineering (Oct 2021)!
Featured on Oxford MPLS Division's website as The Art of Calligraphy inspires new nanomanufacturing technique.
Appeared on Oxford University's News & Events webpage as On Mark Making: An artist’s impression from inside Oxford’s Bhaskaran Lab.
We are welcoming Yi Zhang, Kairan Huang, and Håvard Hem Toftevaag as new DPhil students (Oct 2021)!
Toby Edison, Barry Hao Yu, and Yuhang Lee have joined our group as Part-II students (Sept 2021).
Carlos Rios will join as Assistant Professor at the University of Maryland College Park in Fall 2021. Good luck Prof Rios (May 2021)!
Yu's recent paper on water-based nanomanufacturing is published in Nano Letters (Apr 2021)!
Featured on Oxford University's website as New water-based approach to manufacturing semiconductors!
Ghazi's news and views article titled "Memristors get the hues" appears in Nature Nanotechnology (Apr 2021)!
Nipho's work is published in Journal of Materials Chemistry C (Mar 2021).
The group is excited to spin out a new company in the area of photonic computing for AI, Salience Labs (Feb 2021)!
We welcome Yuhan back as a DPhil student (Jan 2021).
Johannes' paper is published in Nature (Jan 2021).
Appeared in Nature News and Views as Artificial intelligence accelerated by light!
Featured on Oxford University's website as Light-carrying chips advance machine learning!
Highlighted on EPFL's home page, along with a blog post named Light-based processors boost machine-learning processing!
Zengguang's paper appears in Science Advances (Jan 2021).
We welcome Mengyun Wang and Johannes Feldmann as postdoctoral researchers (Nov 2020).
Tara has won The Society of Glass Technology's 2020 Oldfield Prize for her work: "Thin-layer monatomic phase-change materials for photonic applications" (Oct 2020).
This is the first time anyone from Oxford has won it for over a decade (more specifically, since 2007). Many congratulations, Tara!
- Kristian Curtis joins our group as a Part-II student (May 2020).
- Xuan's paper is published in Optica (Mar 2020).
- Eugene's paper appears in Nano Letters (Feb 2020).
- We welcome Antonios back as a DPhil student (Jan 2020).
Jan 2019 - Dec 2019
- Nick and Nathan's paper on plasmonic enhanced phase-change memory cell and its mixed-mode operation is published in Science Advances (Nov 2019)!
Highlighted by Nature as Storing data at the speed of light!
- Claire Paetsch, June Sang Lee, Samarth Agarwal, and Tangsheng Cheng have joined our group for DPhil. Welcome to all (Oct 2019)!
- We welcome Tara Milne as a part-II student to carry out research on monatomic phase-change materials (Sep 2019)!
- Nipho passes his DPhil viva with minor corrections. Congrats (Sep 2019)!
- Ghazi's paper appears in Nano Letters (Aug 2019).
- Seongdong Lim joins us as a postdoc. Welcome (Aug 2019)!
- Nathan Youngblood join University of Pittsburgh as Assistant Professor - we bid him goodbye and wish him the very best (Jul 2019)!
- We welcome When Zhou as a postdoctoral researcher in photonic computing and Yuhan He as a visitor (Jul 2019)!
- We bid goodbye to Ghazi, who joins IBM Research- Zurich (Jun 2019)!
- Sam completes his MEng (May 2019)!
- All-optical AI paper appears in Nature (May 2019)!
Featured on Nature News and Views, by G. Burr.
- Nathan and April are parents to Clive. Welcome to our family, little Clive (May 2019)!
- Nathan accepted a tenure-track faculty position in Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Pittsburgh. He starts at this fall. Good luck, Nathan (Apr 2019)!
- Carlos and Nathan’s paper appears in Science Advances (Mar 2019)!
Also featured in Nature Electronics.
Featured on IBM’s Blog.
- Ghazi passes his DPhil viva with minor corrections (Feb 2019)!
- We say goodbye to Ben Porter - one of the first 3 people to join ANE. We bid him the best in his new adventures in Asia (Jan 2018)!
Jan 2018 - Dec 2018
- Xuan’s paper hits cover page of Optica (Dec 2018).
- We welcome Sridevi Siddarama as a Postdoctoral researcher in photonics (Nov 2018).
- Yu Shu and Utku Emre Ali join us to carry out Doctoral Research. Welcome to both! (Oct 2018).
- We welcome Mohd Sharizal Alias, who joins our group’s effort in integrated photonics (Jul 2018).
- We occupy new laboratory space to accommodate our expanding effort in photonics (June 2018).
- Harish and Varsha are parents to Vedika (Apr 2018).
- Goodbye to one of our first group members, Madhav Kumar, who will join CEA. Good luck, and you will be missed! (Jan 2018).
- We bid goodbye to Qiang He, who will join Huawei after his PhD in Wuhan! (Jan 2018).