Aug 2017 - Dec 2017
- Our paper with our lead collaborators Wolfram Pernice on a Photonic Abacus appears in Nature Communications (Nov 2017).
- Zengguang’s paper on photonic synapses in Science Advances hits headlines (Oct 2017).
- We welcome our new cohort of DPhil students starting their first year. Xuan, Nick, Eugene and James - welcome to Oxford (Oct 2017).
Feb - July 2017
- Ben and Stella are proud parents to Ruaraidh (July 2017)
- Helge Gehring visits us from Wolfram Pernice’s Lab at Munster for a short exchange (July 2017)
- Takashi Lawson completes his Masters thesis, and will soon join Cambridge for a PhD in Photonics. Congrats, Takashi - we wish you the very best!
- We welcome Andreas Hessel from Joachim Knoch’s Group at Aachen for a 3 month Research Stay to work on Photonic NEMS (June 2017).
- Ghazi’s paper on Graphene Nanogaps carried out jointly with Jan Mol’s group is published in Nano Letters, and reported in Nanowerk (May 2017)
- Ghazi selected as an MRS Symposium Assistant for the MRS Spring Meeting and travels to Phoenix for the meeting (Apr 2017)
- Harish introduces phase change reflective displays at TEDx Eton. See the talk here! (Mar 2017)
Oct 2016 - Feb 2017
- Qiang He joins us as a CSC Scholar for 1 year as a Recognized Visiting PhD student from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China.
- Nathan Youngblood joins our team from Mo Li’s group at Minnesota as a Postdoctoral Researcher in Photonics (Jan 2017).
- Gerardo and Carlos get their DPhil. Heartiest congratulations! The lab celebrates in London and at Linacre College (Dec 2016)
- The Lab hosts the WAFT Collaboration Annual Meeting at Somerville College. 55 delegates, with 29 from industry from across the world were in attendance. The closest industrial partner was from Oxford while the farthest from Santa Barbara! Post-dinner drinks was of course the highlight of the meeting! (Oct 2016)
- Takashi Lawson joins us for his Master’s Thesis Research.
May - Sep 2016
- Jeremy Miles graduates with a MEng in Materials Science. Good luck, Jeremy!
- We bid goodbye to our colleague, Dr Merce Pacios, who is moving back to Spain to pursue a new scientific challenge. The entire lab misses you!
- Harish was interviewed by CACM (Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery) on on-chip optical memory. See: Silicon Photonics: Ready to Go the Distance?
- Ben and Stella get married. Congratulations!
- Harish and Peiman featured on a BBC podcast on Germanium.
Jan - Apr 2016
- Matthias finished his study and went back to Germany. Good luck Matthias, we will miss you! (Apr 2016)
- Carlos’s work on modulation and resolution of nanodisplays was published in Advanced Materials. Congratulations! (Mar 2016)
- Mercè’s nano-manufacturing paper was published in Scientific Reports. Congratulations! (Mar 2016)
- Gerardo was awarded the second place in the Best Student Poster Presentation at the 2016 Electronic Materials and Applications Conference for his poster on “Study of Ge2Sb2Te5 properties for opto-electronic applications”. Congratulations! (Jan 2016)
- Matthias Stegmaier from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) joins our group for a short-term study. Welcome, Matthias! (Jan 2016)
May - Dec 2015
- First Industrial Advisory Board Meeting of the Wearable and Flexible Technologies Programme (WAFT) led by Oxford held at Wolfson College. (Oct 2015).
- Jeremy Miles joins group as Part II researcher. Welcome Jeremy.
- Nhlakanipho and Ghazi join to pursue the DPhil. Welcome! (Oct 2015)
- Dr. Zengguang Cheng (from National Center for Nanoscience and Technology, Chinese Academy of Scienes, China) joins our group. Welcome, Zengguang! (21 Sep 2015)
- Carlos’ work on non-volatile photonic memories published jointly with Wolfram Pernice’s Group at Munster in Nature Photonics. See: Science, MIT Tech Review, The Engineer, Gizmodo. Article is ranked No 1 for “Most Read” and “Trending Online”. Congratulations, Carlos! (Sep 2015)
- Jeremy joins us in Michaelmas 2015 as a Part II student. Welcome, Jeremy! (Sep 2015)
- The Group celebrates the doctoral viva successes of Madhav Kumar (26-Aug) and Benjamin Porter (2-Sep)- in London’s Soho!
- In collaboration with Prof Bhaskar Choubey in Engineering Science, Harish wins an EPSRC grant to “Design Nanosystems the CMOS way (June 2015).”
- Freddie Onslow Wins the Worship Company of Ironmongers Award for the Best Part II talk at Oxford Materials. Freddie was invited to present her talk at the Court at Ironmongers Hall in London on June 9th. Congrats, Freddie for being our superstar Part II researcher!
- Carlos wins the Best Poster Award at the INC11 Conference in Fukuoka, Japan with his poster on "Growth and Nucleation Dominated Phase-Change Materials for Nano-Optoelectronics and Display Technology".
- Ben wins the local heat (Oxford) in the Young Lecturer’s Competition.
Jan - Apr 2015
Oct - Dec 2014
- Harish to lead a collaborative £3.1 million grant by EPSRC on Wearable and Flexible Electronics (2015-2019). He will also be the lead Oxford investigator on another £3.1 million grant on Chalcogenides led by Prof Dan Hewak at Southampton (2015-2020). Both were announced by the Business Secretary, Vince Cable in December.
- Dr Daniel Engstrom will join Loughborough University as a Lecturer in the Wolfson School of Mechanical Engineering in Spring 2015. Congratulations, Daniel!
- Peiman and Harish win the IDTechex Academic R&D Awards at the recent Printed Electronics Conference in Santa Clara, CA.
- Mercè and Ramone get married!
May - Sep 2014
- Freddie Onslow joins us to carry out her Part II Research Project. A warm welcome to her!
- We review Additive Nanomanufacturing in the September special issue of the JMR.
- Peiman’s work published in Nature, gets international coverage (July 10, 2014). Read more in Applied Physics: A new view of displays, Nature News and Views
Featured internationally in Australia, India, Spain, Italy, Germany, USA, Belgium and Brazil. Peiman chats live on BBC Radio Oxford, while Harish speaks to German Public Radio.
- Carlos Rios represents Oxford in the British Universities Karate National and reached Quarter Finals in both the Kata and Kumite categories. At the Varsity 2014 competition with Cambridge, he defeated the opposing captain, although Oxford narrowly lost to Cambridge.
Jan - Apr 2014
- Carlos Rios joins us (from the Pernice Lab at KIT - Germany) as a Clarendon Scholar to pursue the DPhil (January 2014).
May - Sep 2013
- Alexander Kermani from UC-Santa Barbara’s Engineering School will undertake an undergraduate research project over summer at Oxford. Welcome Al! (July 2012)
- Dr Daniel Southcott Engstrøm joins our team from the London Center for Nanotechnology (UCL) (July 2013).
- We welcome Dr Mercè Pacios Pujadó as a Marie Curie Intra European Postdoctoral Fellow (May 2013).
Jan - Apr 2013
- We have relocated to University of Oxford’s Materials Department in January 2013.
- Wolfram Pernice (Karlsruhe) and Harish’s optical memory proposal (Appl. Phys. Lett. 2012) is featured as a Research Highlight in Nature Photonics (January 2013)